Migas--a Spanish, Portuguese, and Tex-Mex Breakfast

Migas are one of my favorite meals and definitely a favorite breakfast food. I love serving these to guests. My recipe was created in an attempt to duplicate my late mother's description of migas, which I never tasted because it was a recipe she discovered after I left home. But she talked about it a lot, it became one of her favorites. I think she just liked saying, "migas" to tell you the truth. So far as I can tell, my migas are a lot like hers. And no one has failed to clean their plates when I've made them. Hubby, who is rarely interested in breakfast, never turns down migas in the morning. My favorite way to serve these is with some homemade refried beans on the side (see previous entry). The beans and eggs go together like Forrest Gump and Bubba Blue.

I don't have a miga recipe, per se. Migas are one of those things you throw together according to taste and how many you are serving. We had migas for breakfast this morning, I had hoped to photograph them before I published the recipe here but, alas, my camera is still not functioning.

Basic ingredients:

Eggs (I used 7 today)
Chopped onions (I used about 1/4 cup)
Chopped and seeded serrano peppers (I used three, they weren't too hot for me but....)
corn chips (homemade or otherwise--I used too much this morning, according to hubby, but he still cleaned his plate)
grated cheddar or Monterrey jack (cheese is optional, a little cheese goes a long way in migas--I have no idea how much I used today)

Whip eggs for scrambling and set aside. Grate cheese and set aside. If using cheddar, don't use too awful much, it overpowers the dish. Sauté onions until soft but not opaque, add chopped peppers and sauté for a minute or two longer. Toss in a handful or three of tortilla chips and crush them just a bit with your spatula. I like a little egg with my chips, hubby likes his migas as an egg dish with a few chips in it. You'll have to figure out the ratio for your ownself. You will be pouring your whipped eggs into the pan right on top of the chips but right before you do this, add salt to your eggs and whip them in a bit more. Alton Brown says that adding salt to your eggs and then letting them sit does something unpleasant to raw eggs. I don't know if it's true, but I take his word for it and always wait until the last second.

I prefer the taste of the eggs when they've been salted during cooking but you may have a different opinion on this.

Scramble your eggs with the chips and vegetables until they are done to your liking. You don't have to break the chips up in tiny pieces, I rather like large pieces of chips in my migas. Don't overcook your eggs. They're done before they look done. The chips may still glisten a bit when you remove the pan from the heat, but don't fear. You aren't about to eat disgusting, undercooked eggs. The glistening chips will have turned a normal looking matte before you can even begin to eat. After you've removed the pan from the heat toss in the cheese and mix it in with eggs. It will be plenty melted by the time you put the eggs on a plate and serve. The melted cheese may give your eggs an underdone appearance, don't be fooled, it's just melted cheese. If the appearance bothers you, then in the future don't mix the cheese in with your eggs, just serve the cheese on top of the dish.

If you like, you can mix some sour cream and salsa verde together to drizzle over your eggs. I don't think they need it, but I always offer it to guests and some of them enjoy it.

2 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

I love your Migas recipe. I love making Mexican-American Border food. Being Hispanic, this recipe reminded me of how my mother and grandmother used to cook. A little of this and little of that, all to your individual liking. Thanks for the memory - and your great blog.

Genie said...

Thanks Teresa! Please share yours and your grandmother's recipes ANYTIME. I live for this kind of food.

Pico de Gallo

Pico de Gallo
Fresh, cool, delicious.

Anasazi Beans

Anasazi Beans
Dang, that's a pretty bean.

Mom's Beef Enchiladas

Mom's Beef Enchiladas
Except we used ground Axis.

My Solar Cooker

My Solar Cooker
Needs some refinements but it works!